Contact: Devin Delrow at email@example.com or 202-507-4072
Caitrin Shuy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-507-4085
IHS Requests Tribal Input on the Proposed Realignment of the IHS Headquarters
WASHINGTON, DC – Indian Health Service (IHS) Principal Deputy Director Mary Smith released a Dear Tribal Leader Letter on October 5 announcing a proposed realignment of the IHS Headquarters offices and a 30-day comment period open for Tribal input. The realignment is intended to impact how the IHS Headquarters operates and accomplishes its oversight responsibilities, with clearer more transparent accountability.
To improve efficiency and effectiveness of program operations, the realignment also moves some Division level components under different senior staff leadership. Specific changes include: (1) clearer lines of IHS Senior Leadership responsibility for administrative and/or programmatic functions that are apparent on the Agency’s organizational chart; (2) realignment of specific functions under oversight of the Associate Director for Quality; and (3) creation of an Associate Director for Healthcare Workforce Development and realigning the Scholarships and Loan Repayment programs under this senior staff member. In addition to the organizational changes, IHS is making management process changes as well to improve procurement planning and budget monitoring.
For more information, please contact NIHB’s Director of Federal Relations, Devin Delrow email@example.com or at (202) 507- 4072. Please use the links below to access the Dear Tribal Leader letter and Enclosures to assist in review of the proposed IHS realignment.
- October 5 IHS Dear Tribal Leader Letter – Proposed IHS Headquarters Realignment
- Enclosure 1: Current IHS Headquarters Chart
- Enclosure 1a: Federal Register Notice Proposed Functional Statement from October 17, 2005
- Enclosure 1b: Federal Register Notice on Proposed Functional Statement from July 17, 2008
- Enclosure 1c: Federal Register Notice on Proposed Functional Statement from July 1, 2010
- Enclosure 2: Proposed IHS Realignment Organizational Chart – October 2016
- Enclosure 2a: Draft Functional Statement IHS Headquarters Realignment 2016
- Enclosure 3: Interim IHS Headquarters Realignment Organizational Chart – October 2016
Last modified: November 11, 2019