The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced that Operation Warp Speed has approved a one week extension for Tribes with healthcare facilities to determine their vaccine distribution preference. HHS sent a Dear Tribal Leader Letter urging that Tribes with healthcare facilities now have until November 6 to contact the Indian Health Service (IHS) to indicate if they would like to be included in IHS’ distribution or contact their state health authority if they want to be included in the state’s distribution.
Tribes are encouraged to reach out to their state health authority and their IHS Area Office COVID Vaccine Point of Contact to better understand the details of their COVID-19 plans to help make this decision based on the information available to date. The new deadline is November 6, 2020.
- If your Tribe already submitted its preference and wishes to keep its decision, no further action is needed. Tribes can choose to receive the vaccine through their IHS Area Office or state health authority.
- If your Tribe already submitted its preference and wishes to change its decision, please contact email@example.com to make a correction.
NIHB Resources on HHS/IHS COVID-19 Vaccine Planning
- View the Webinar Recording from 10/30/20
- Indian Health Service (IHS) COVID‑19 Pandemic Vaccine Draft Plan 10/14/20
- COVID-19 Vaccination Program Interim Playbook for Jurisdiction Operations
Last modified: November 10, 2020